Ahhh! I can’t believe it! I am super excited and nervous, for both of us, but I know she’ll do fabulous.
I thought it would be fun to make her teacher something and wanted it to be a little something different.
This month’s theme for #CreativeBuzz was apples so it helped give me a jumping off point.
This is what I came up with and I LOVE how it came out!
Here is how I created it so you can make one too!
-Clear Chalkboard Coating
Start by drawing an apple on the MDF.
I just free handed it until I was happy with the size and shape.
Using a jigsaw, cut out the apple.
Here is the apple all cut out.
Before I started painting it, I gave it a light sanding and took off the sharp edges of the apple.
MDF sometimes sucks paint in so before I started painting with the colored paint, I coated the whole apple, front and back, with white paint.
Next, coat the apple, leaf, and stem with a coat of paint and let dry.
This way you have a nice base of each color before adding another layer and adding the values.
Next, add another layer of paint and while the paint is still wet, add some highlights and low lights to give the it some dimension.
I worked on each color separately until I was happy with how they looked.
When your paint is nice and dry, it is time to make it a chalkboard.
Pull out some of this awesome Clear Chalkboard Coating- it makes ANYTHING a chalkboard- and give the apple one coat vertically and let it dry for 1 hour. When the first coat is dry, apply another coat horizontally.
Let cure 24 hours.
I took some twine and stapled it onto the back of the apple so she will be able to hang it.
Once the chalkboard coat is cured, you need to “prime” the chalkboard.
And to do this, all you need to do is rub a piece of chalk all over the chalkboard.
Wipe it clean and it is ready to use!!
I wanted to add a little something extra to the apple so I had these small chalkboard tags laying around and wrote “welcome” on it.
I then tied it around the stem using green baker’s twine.
And it is done!
Since I plan on giving this to Miss P’s teacher, I wrapped up two pieces of chalk in a clear bag and tied it with twine as well to give it to her teacher with the apple.
It turned out so cute and I love the result!
I sure hope that her teacher loves it too!!!
My bag is a Fossil bag that I actually won in a drawing a couple years ago! I love that it’s not too big. In fact, it was the perfect size for when my husband and I traveled all over Portugal last May.
I don’t know that any of its contents are particularly telling about me, but here’s what you’ll find.
- A pink wallet. Pink is my favorite color.
- My phone. It’s a Moto X with Republic Wireless. They are awesome, and cheap. The case has a stand on the back making it perfect for watching Netflix while I’m working on the computer.
- Chap stick. I just barely tried EOS and I love it! And for a teeny bit of color, Baby Lips in Peach Kiss.
- Gum (or mints). Wintergreen or Spearmint. Peppermint is too strong. And never the blue TicTacs. They taste like toothpaste.
- Hand santitizer.
- Pen and Notebook. Sure, I always have my phone on me if I need to add something to my calendar. But sometimes you just need to be able to doodle, you know?
- Hair elastics.
- Toy airplane. Courtesy of my 5 year old. It’s not always there, but it certainly wasn’t a surprise when I found it while pulling things out to take these photos.
- Michael’s Gift Card. Also, not always there, but always exciting when I have one!
We just so happened to have left over paint, from years ago, that was the exact color blue in the shower curtain, so I got to painting and changed out the bathroom accessories.
I shared it over at Mabey She Made It a few weeks ago and want to share it will all of you!
There were over 350 links at last week’s party!
I love that the party just keeps growing and can’t wait to see what you have to share this week.