And I am so excited that it is complete!
I think it looks so good and I can’t wait until the room as a whole is complete.
There are many tutorials around blogland on board and batten and I looked at a few of them for inspiration and then we got started.
Here is how we did it:
Peachy, beige walls and nothing exciting.
My dad primed the walls when he was in painting mode after helping us move in so the walls were ready to be treated.
We went around the entire room and taped it off. This way we were able to count how many battens we would need to get.
We chose to make the baseboard and the top board 4 inches wide.
The batten boards themselves are 3 inches wide and we spaced the boards 24 inches apart.
The total height of the board and batten is 70 inches so it is rather high but the crib we ordered is 50 inches high so I wanted a good amount of the treatment showing above the crib.
We went to the Home Depot to get all our boards.
We bought 2 sheets of 1/2 in. MDF boards for $25 each and had them cut them down for us on their giant saw into the sizes we needed.
This was MUCH cheaper than buying boards individually.
We got all the baseboards and batten cut by them.
Then we bought some additional boards that were 2 1/2 in. wide to use as a picture ledge on top and some molding to use just under the picture ledge.
I also did 2 finishing coats on the baseboards that way I would not have to paint them against the carpet.
We both separately thought that we should do yellow in the nursery, so the upper portion of the wall is yellow then the walls where the batten will be, is painted in Semi-Gloss Ultra White by Valspar.
Travis ripped out the old baseboards and replaced it with the new 4″ baseboards.
He then went back with a nail gun to make sure they were secure.
After that was complete, we caulked around all the boards before we painted.
Just wish the crib would come in! lol