This project is FINALLY finished! Thank goodness! I was working on this shelf for at least two weeks. I thought I would have been a quick project but it proved me wrong- WAY wrong! In the process of working on this shelf, I was spray painting MANY other projects as well… and I am pretty sure I have lost MILLIONS of brain cells in the process. The spray paint section at Lowes has seen me many times. I’m surprised the cans didn’t just start jumping into my hand as soon as they saw me.
Anyways, back to this project. I bought this shelf unit for $12.50 at Dixie Trading Post in Louisville. Once I started to work on the shelf, I probably shouldn’t have paid that much but all well. When I saw it, it immediately screamed to me, “Take me to your craft room,” and the paint job was just screaming for help!
The paint job before. OH MY! Bright green paint with white, yellow, and blue circles stamped on it.
So I sanded it down and primed it. And well… ended up having to sand it again and reprime it. I had the hardest time trying to sand the raised circles all the way down so you couldn’t see them. So out came the belt sander- that did the trick for the most part but then also caused more problems for me. This would be the part that prevented this shelf from being an easy project! But after, more sanding, some spackle, and more primer- I finally got it looking like I wanted.
And I spray painted it this fun, sunny yellow. I used Valspar spray paint. Can’t remember the color name. But I didn’t want to leave it plain so…
Out came my trusty Cricut machine. I cut out a couple different shapes and decided what I wanted to put on the shelf. I then used it to make stencils to make it easier.
This is the stencil I made for the top- omitting the “E.” The outside template ripped when I was pulling it out so I had to just trace the outside of the bird. The last picture is of it traced you just can’t see it.
Next, came the sides of the shelf. I cut out two different templates and placed them on either side of the shelf.
Then, I took white acrylic paint to fill in the stencil. I pounced on the paint and then carefully smoothed it out so there wouldn’t be any bumps… again. I took off the stencil and corrected any imperfections and let dry.
Once dry, I changed the stencils to the opposite sides and added another one to the bottom repeating the process.
I just used black paint to make little eyes and then mixed it with my white to make a gray to free hand little wings. These are the sides complete. I love how they came out!
It is perfect for the storage of what I needed it for in my craft room too! 🙂
Love the transformation! It is SO MUCH better!
Linking up to these parties!